Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Audrey Niffenegger -- Her Fearful Symmetry

Open letter to Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry:

Why do I keep reading you?  Your plot is not altogether captivating, your tone is inconsistent and only occasionally engaging; you have moments of poise and clarity and brilliance that I love, but not enough to really keep me intrigued--you make pop culture references that seem foreign and forced, and the result is awkward, like meeting your mom at a bar.

I guess I mostly keep reading because you are eerily applicable to my life every time I decide to pick you up and give you one more shot, 30 pages at a time.


Bizarre.

I recommend The Adventuress as a more engaging example of Niffenegger's opus, especially because it foregrounds her impressive illustration work.

No comments:

Post a Comment